Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Welcome to my flawless lifestyle blog!

It’s funny, I noticed on Feedly that my blog’s been tagged “lifestyle”, and lord knows what that means. I’m soooooo not trying to be a trend-setter, but I guess technically I blog about my life, so that sort of explains it, even though when I think "lifestyle blog" I think "cute sassy design-y sponsored maybe-Mormon trendsetting chronicle." I am, clearly, none of these things.  If I were to post a picture of my new living room, it would include a saggy dog-hair covered couch (hand-me-down from the old neighbors), a very dinged up coffeetable with a leg that needs to be fixed (trashpicked), some nice prints (Dan McCarthy is my art-patronus), a really ugly chair that is also the most comfortable chair IN THE WORLD (Diversity Thrift), an area rug that’s old and doesn’t match anything else (haggled at a yard sale), and a whole lot of books.  Also, a globe that holds booze (thanks, Marilyn!).  The point here is I'm not exactly setting any trends here, unless there's a ad-worthy trend of "find stuff cheaply that doesn't always match and make it your home/fashion style".  In which case, hellooooooo sponsors, step right up!

To prove I'm not lying when I say there's not much going on here: a few shots of the new digs, just to prove that truly faaaaabulous I am not.  Also, don't judge my bookshelf contents, there's some dreck on there -- hi Marysue A. C. Crispin Han Solo Trilogy books*! -- but it's the dreck I enjoyed gosh darnit, or else had to read for library school; sorry, snooty English major tic to explain away anything ~of poor taste~




It’s cozy to me, but hah! I’m not buying a ticket to Alt/Camp Mighty over here.  I know, "lifestyle" doesn't *have* to mean it's setting a life example about Doing Life Right and is also bringing in some cash, but that's just what the term evokes for me.  Maybe I just cringe because for so long my blog has been all about infertility, and if *that's* my "lifestyle" that's really fucking depressing.  But at the same time, I post about other stuff too!  I have a life.  I do post about it...  But then I just get bogged down in what a "lifestyle" blog ~is~ man.  Everyone who's a lifestyle blogger seems so....put together and fashionable.

My great fashion consists of the same rotation of corduroy pants, elbow-patch cardigans, and grown-out pixie haircut that would look cute if I were Tegan or Sara, but unfortunately just looks like a sad mullet on me.  Rest assured dear reader, I am a normal, awkward non-sponsored person. I wear the same corduroys and cardigans (note to self: that's either my new band name or my new blog name, dibs!) until they fall apart.  My home is covered in dog hair.  My coffeetable has been chewed on every corner.  (Related: My dogs are cute assholes.)  My husband is actually flawless though, so there’s that.

The bottom line is, lord knows, if I knew how to live right, I'd be busy doing it, instead of muddling about on this blog trying to figure it all out.  So if *that's* why it's been tagged "lifestyle" -- that people want to follow someone who has no clue -- then maybe it's accurate.  But only if.



*You ever see that episode of How I Met Your Mother where Ted discovers Stella has never seen Star Wars?  That's me and Patrick, but reversed; he's seen A New Hope, and was totally meh about it.  He's also seen Episode 1, but purely for Rifftrax purposes.  Teenage Hayley who bought Star Wars Insider magazine is befuddled, to say the least.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Gosh, I follow you via feedly and you are in a tab called "Lifestyle". So am I responsible for this? Possibly. I like your blog because your honest and funny. I chose the term because you write about your life (all of it) and not just the good parts. So hopefully that's okay. I am going to keep reading, and enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, nah, I don't think it's possible for one person to change the blog's tag (otherwise it'd have other tags, since I have it in my own feedly so I can make sure posts don't look wonky in a reader!), never fear! And I really don't mind the tag, I just find it funny. :) (And thank you for reading & enjoying!)

      Delete
    2. (And thank you for the compliments!)

      Delete
    3. Oh that's good to know. I was worried about that as I do have other categories that are super random, but it's easier for me to remember them.

      Delete
  2. I use Newsblur, and I have you in a (self-created) bucket called "Life". Some of those folks are sponsored and together and fashionable, but mostly it's just regular old people (like you! or me!) blogging.

    (I totally had to make this comment because I'm nerdily interested in how things are classified. LIBRARIAN.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do the same thing in my feed -- I've got a "liberries" feed in mine!

      Delete
  3. I love corduroys and cardigans. So warm and snug and comfy. And I also wear clothes until they are ripping apart, if it wasn't for the husband I would wear stuff with holes all the time. Speaking of which my favorite green sweater has a huge hole in the elbow and I do not want to throw it away because I love it. Maybe I will have to put a patch on it.

    I hope everything is well with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best, and to make it better, they're practically the uniform of my profession! I chose well... :P I'm a big fan of sewing sweaters back together -- patches all the way, I say!

      All is seeming well -- I hope the same is for you all!

      Delete